Time left for the first
match at "Dinamo"
December 15th has become an important day in the history of the VTB Arena Park project – closing of the contour of the roof load-bearing steel structures of the Dynamo Stadium and complete decentering when the structures take their own weight load. It was the first time when journalists together with Dynamo representatives were witnessing this process in a live broadcast standing just several meters away from the operations.
At the ceremony that took place on the Southern Grandstand of the reconstructed stadium, the Senior Vice President of VTB Bank and the head of VTB Arena Park project Andrei Peregoudov said, “Today’s event will become an important milestone in the process of the Dynamo Stadium reconstruction. It allows us to focus on the next steps of the work, which are also important: installation of polycarbonate roof structures, arrangement of the football field, installation of seats, and installation of utility systems. Probably now we can says that the stadium reconstruction has entered the homestretch.”
A new sports facility has appeared on the European sports map; it has no analogues anywhere in the world. It will be an ultramodern, innovative multi-purpose facility, which has already received several prestigious international awards at the construction stage, including MIPIM and Urban Awards.
The project team has big plans: the sports and concert arenas are planned to host Euroleague Final Four basketball championship, the Kremlin Cup and Davis Cup tennis tournaments, large figure skating and hockey championships, concerts of world pop stars.
Nine calendar years will be separating the first test match and the last match before closure between Dynamo and Tom. However, the actual VTB Arena Park project, including reconstruction of the old Dynamo Stadium, started only four years ago and the civil works fully started in June 2014 – it is just a little more than two years. In this period, almost all concrete and steel installation works have been completed for the Stadium and the Arena; the installation of bearing steel structures for the roof and grandstands of the Stadium and the Arena is almost completed; the installation of escalators and lifts has been started; the restoration and adjustment of the historic Western Grandstand have also been completed.
Dynamo veterans and fans are actively supporting the project. They have participated in such symbolic and memorable events as leaving a message to the next Dynamo generations, traditional Dynamo cleanup Saturdays, fundraising race “the Dynamo Mile”. Famous Dynamo veterans Vladimir Pilguy, Valery Maslov, Valery Urin, Alexander Minaev, Alexander Makhovikov, Alexey Petrushin, Arkady Nikolaev, Nikolay Bobkov, Vladimir Dolbonosov have visited today’s ceremony. According to Vladimir Pilguy, who picked up the slack as the Dynamo goalkeeper after Lev Yashin, “the veterans are looking forward for the stadium to open and are sure that it will bring a lot of new victories to their sports club.”
A separate chapter in our activity is dedicated to memorialization of the great goalkeeper Lev Yashin, whose name is given to the Stadium. Our project is a partner in the production of a film called “Lev Yashim. The goalkeeper of my dream”. As part of behind the scenes documentary, Lev Yashin’s widow Valentina Timofeevna met the world football legends: Bobby Charlton, an English football player, and Sandro Mazzola, an Italian football player, who said many cordial words about the goalkeeper of Dynamo and the USSR National Team.
What is decentering and how does it happen?
Decentering is a process when the structures take their own weight load.
The roof of the football field is designed as a steel frame structure consisting of radial overhanging beams that are standing on concrete columns around the perimeter and closing on the inner compressed ring and stretched ring.
The total weight of the Stadium roof steel structures is 3,188 tons.
The total area of the roof overhanging the football field is 20,000 square meters.
1. The whole roof structure is supported by 13 temporary supports.
2. All roof decentering works are executed with special equipment:
- hydraulic jacks with lifting capacity up to 150 tons each: 26 pieces in total, 2 pieces per each lifting axis.
- oil-pumping station and oil distribution system: 13 stations in total, one station per each temporary support for controlling 2 jacks simultaneously.
1. Completion of installation of all roof steel structures.
2. Lifting of the compressed ring with a system of hydraulic jacks in a strict order and sequence of radial beam axes to 35 mm above the ground.
3. Replacement of temporary mounting studs with permanent holding studs.
4. Fixation of roof steel structures in the final position.
5. Decentering (lowering) of the roof to the final position.
6. Decentering process is performed in eight steps of lowering of the roof structure by 15 mm, which is strictly defined by the design.
At each step of decentering, Macalloy frame structure is checked for tension and sagging.
After the second stage (lowering the structures by 30mm) the experts from Cimolai company perform a geodesic survey of the compressed ring and the stretched ring. According to these data, the experts update a 3D model and introduce necessary changes for calculation the new roof geometry after decentering.
The design value of roof lowering is 80-90 mm.
7. After lowering and removing the load from the jacks, the jacks and temporary supports are dismantled and removed.
8. Upon completion of all dismantling and roof structure decentering works, the experts prepare a report on the load-bearing capacity of the roof.